Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first NAS?

Hello! Thank you for all your NAS analysis!

I am a Mac using freelance designer planing to get into video editing. I currently have 8 or so external drives from 1-5TB each, most of which are plugged into a hub plugged directly into a laptop. They are getting full and I am having to spread projects over more than one drive. I have also introduced a 2nd laptop into my workflow.

I have been watching several of your videos and I think I have narrowed down my choice to the Synology DS1621+ but upgraded to the nines with RAM, Lan ports, and drives. I am keen to take advantage of supporting my video editing with a 10gbe port, but I am also a fan of the SHR for growth.

RAM: I was planning to buy Synology RAM upgrades to not void the warranty. To confirm I will be getting: 2 D4ECSO-2666-16G

Lan Ports: I was looking at the lan port options on Synology and wondered if I should get the 2 port card since I have two laptops. Also, if I’m buying 10gbe now, should I just go on and get the 25gbe now or is that overbuying?

Drives: For drives, I don’t think they need to be Synology, except maybe the 2 NVMe SSDs. I am tempted to just go with sinology for all add ons because it’s simpler, but I am curious are there better drives to use?

Messages In This Thread
My first NAS? - by Enquiries - 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM
My first NAS? - by admin - 03-24-2021, 01:33 PM