Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Suitable 4 bay nas for my use patterns?

I have one Netgear NV+v2 (4x 3Tb) which is unreliable (it just lost 4TB of data); I also have 2 Netgear Readynas 214 (4x 4Tb), which are getting VERY full. So I need (at least) another 4 bay (or more) to fill up with 4Tb WD Red (CMR, not SMR), unless adviced otherwise (Netgear always recommended WD Red, and THB I had some issue with Seagates).
At moment I cannot see the RN 214 any more "in stock" on the UK market, only the 424 (@~£340/370, which in your review, you do NOT really recommend for home use.
I REALLY like Netgear build quality, but I find the software quite user unfriendly - it's designed for the "office network manager" and I am not one of them (although being reasonably computer literate, I analysed data with spreadsheets for 25y). But I also had (software?) problem with the NV+, and a RN104 died on me (but the disks went into a 214 without loss of data, which would have been DIABOLICAL)
QNAP & Sinology have a pletora of models, and quite frankly I don't know where to start.

I need NASses (or other alternatives, not yet considered) to
a) keep all my data safe in one place, in 25 Y I had many PCs & laptops, I need a COMMON storage place; that includes 25 years of pictures, music, live gigs etc.
b) I DL movies series (BBC4, Montalbano, Horizon, F1, MotoGP etc) and lots of other stuff of and I can see with DLNA on the android TV;
c) being Italian, I would wish to have access to the data from Italy. That should be possible with the existing NETGEAR kits, but I never really managed to sort it out; and with my old internet plan (700kb/1Mb upload), and a flaky connectivity in italy, it would have been almost pointless.
d) I never used PLEX, I barely know what it is, I might do in future...maybe. Ditto for NETFLIX
e) I don't have any surveillance in place - it would be useful for sure, but I don't see it happening at moment
f) VERY BAD OF ME - I don't have a Backup policy in place: being very messy, I have lots of spare copies of important stuff, but I need to address this. But with 15/20Tb of unique data (on RAID..5.. ?), that may mean a lot more shopping to do.
Sorry for the verbosity, and thanks for the help in advance - Kind regards

Messages In This Thread
Suitable 4 bay nas for my use patterns? - by Enquiries - 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM