Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS advices?

Hi,
I'm planning to buy my first NAS for a home usage. The main purpose is keeping safe all personal files, photos, videos, documents and also save / download music and movies.
I was waiting to see if an updated version of Synology DS218 (value series) / DS218play is going to be released, but in the end I'm starting to look at DS220+.
The main reasons are:
1. it's newer (and I don' want to wait a new version of DS218play)
2. it's more powerful and since I'd like to keep it for some years but also I could require some transcoding, it could be nice to have something good and with an upgradeable RAM.
3. I'm not sure, but I don't exclude that I could start to use/play with virtual machines in the future....but this is just an idea.

I was thinking about 2 x IronWolf 6TB (ST6000VN001). Is it a good idea? I wanted to buy the WD60EFRX (which should be CMR according to WD) but they don't appear in the Synology compatibility list.

I wanted to ask you what you think about these choices.

I also need another suggestion: my NAS place is in the same room of the routing, but unfortunately not in a place where I can ever hope to have an ethernet cable.
I studied a lot about powerline adapters and wifi access points (in client mode), but I'm not able to decide. I was thinking about this TP-Link TL-PA7017 (for powerline) or about TP-Link RE450 (for the access point). Which is the best option?

Thank you!
Luca

Messages In This Thread
NAS advices? - by Enquiries - 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM
NAS advices? - by admin - 02-10-2021, 03:41 PM