Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help me decide between DS244+ and TS-626

It looks like you’ve narrowed it down to two great options with the Synology DS224+ and QNAP TS-262, and you're right—both can handle all the tasks you’ve listed like photo storage, media server capabilities, and secure access from anywhere. But I get why you’re hesitating between them, so here’s a quick breakdown that might help:

Software & Ease of Use:

Synology DSM (on the DS224+) is often considered the more polished and user-friendly interface. It’s intuitive, so if you or your wife prefer something straightforward with minimal fuss, DSM is a strong contender.
QNAP QTS 5.2 (on the TS-262) is still very capable, though it’s a bit more customizable and might require some extra tinkering to get things just the way you like. So if you’re comfortable with a bit of DIY, QNAP has no major downsides here.
Photo/Video Storage & Access:
Both devices can back up and organize photos and videos from your phones and provide remote access from anywhere. Synology might have a slight edge with its Synology Photos app, which is seamless and easy to use, particularly for iPhone users.

Media Server:
For direct play, both models are capable without needing transcoding. If transcoding isn’t a priority, either will do the job well for home media playback.

VPN & Downloads:
QNAP’s QVPN feature and Download Station are very good for VPN-secured downloads from HTTPS/Bittorrent. Synology has similar tools but QNAP tends to have more advanced networking and app options in this area.

In short: If you want smooth, user-friendly software with fewer headaches, go with Synology. If you’re okay with tweaking settings and want more flexibility and VPN features, then QNAP might be the better fit. Both will serve your use case well, but it comes down to personal preference with the software.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help me decide between DS244+ and TS-626 - by ed - 4 hours ago