Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first NAS

Thank you for reaching out! Based on your use case, a 2-bay NAS should suffice for your needs. For photo backup and sharing, storing movies and series for remote access, and backing up your phone and laptop, a J series NAS like the Synology DS223j can work well as long as you stick to using Synology-only apps. However, if you want more flexibility and the ability to use Plex for media streaming, consider Celeron-based models like the DS224+ or DS424+. These models offer the option to upgrade RAM or add an NVMe cache, providing better performance for your tasks.

The DS223j does have slightly more RAM than the J series, so it can handle these tasks smoothly. If you choose the value series NAS like the J series, you'll be good to go with your listed tasks. However, if you prefer a bit more versatility and room for expansion, the Celeron-based models might be worth considering. Keep in mind that investing a bit more upfront in a higher-end NAS can provide future-proofing, ensuring it remains suitable for your needs even as they grow.

Messages In This Thread
My first NAS - by ENQUIRIES - 07-27-2023, 03:00 PM
RE: My first NAS - by ed - 07-28-2023, 07:41 AM