Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS1522+ RAM HDD Qs

Hello! I'll do my best to answer your questions:

M.2 NVMe or SSDs can definitely help with hosting VMs at a reasonable speed, but they are not strictly required. The DS1522+ supports SSD caching, which can also improve performance. If you do want to try the unofficial route via CLI to add M.2 NVMe storage, I would recommend doing thorough research and proceeding with caution. If you're concerned about the risks, the DS923+ is a solid alternative with similar capabilities and one less bay. When DSM 7.2 is out properly you will get NVME storage pool support n 1522+ .

More RAM is always better when it comes to hosting VMs. 24GB total should be sufficient for your needs, but upgrading to 32GB with 2x16GB would be even better. Usually this is where people choose to give up Synology support (still keep the warranty) or not.

The non-pro Ironwolf 8TB drives are officially supported by Synology, and they are still high-quality drives. The Ironwolf Pro drives are designed for heavier workloads and have a longer warranty, but if noise and power consumption are concerns for you, it may be better to stick with the non-pros. Ultimately, both options are good choices, and the decision will depend on your specific needs and preferences. If you run VMs on NVMe, HDDs are not that important.

It's always a good idea to plan for expansion, so if you have the budget, going with 4x 8TB drives and having 2 spare for expansion and potential surveillance would be a great option. However, if budget is a concern, starting with 4x 6TB drives can be a good way to save some money initially and still have plenty of storage capacity.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Messages In This Thread
DS1522+ RAM HDD Qs - by MrCisco - 03-13-2023, 10:35 AM
RE: DS1522+ RAM HDD Qs - by ed - 03-16-2023, 04:47 PM
RE: DS1522+ RAM HDD Qs - by MrCisco - 03-16-2023, 09:52 PM
RE: DS1522+ RAM HDD Qs - by ed - 03-17-2023, 01:55 PM