Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Picking the right NAS

Looking to upgrade my current setup: M2 Mac mini + OWC Enclosure. Love the low power consumption and the compact look (the enclosure looks exactly like the Mac mini)

However, I already filled it up. So I'm looking to go all-in and never have to think about upgrading for 3-5 years. Current needs:

* Plex, w/ transcoding of multiple hevc 4k into as low as x264 1080p — can the M2 do this if I go with a DAS?
* Ability to access files wirelessly from my Mac using finder, AND the ability to use Mac tags. This is important, because I color code video files as I edit them (I won't edit off the drive) I also don't want to have to re-tag using a new system
* 5-6 drives for Raid 5-6 on 22TB drives
* Low tdp and compact.

Currently considering:
* NAS as a DAS and continuing with the Mini as a computer
* Using NAS like the new Ugreen. Synology and terra no longer good options? This will be most efficient and smallest
* BYO solution — won't be efficient but then I can use a better os

Thank you!
Thanks for reaching out! It sounds like you’re gearing up for a significant upgrade to your storage setup. Based on your requirements, here are some tailored recommendations:

Key Requirements
Plex with Transcoding: For transcoding multiple HEVC 4K streams to x264 1080p, you'll need a robust NAS. An i5-based NAS, like the QNAP TVS-h674, would be an excellent choice. This model not only has powerful processing capabilities but also allows for GPU card upgrades, enhancing its transcoding potential.

Wireless File Access and Mac Tags: Most modern NAS devices support SMB and AFP, ensuring you can access your files wirelessly from your Mac and utilize Mac tags for your color-coded video files.

Drive Configuration: With a focus on RAID 5/6 configurations and support for 22TB drives, you’ll have the redundancy and performance you need.

Low TDP and Compact Design: It's important to choose a solution that balances performance with low power consumption.

Recommendations
QNAP TVS-h674: This 6-bay NAS features an Intel i5 processor and allows for GPU upgrades, making it ideal for your Plex transcoding needs while maintaining a compact form factor.

Use Your Mac Mini with a DAS Box: Another option is to continue using your M2 Mac mini and connect it to a DAS (Direct-Attached Storage) box. This setup can provide a seamless workflow while allowing you to manage your files effectively.

DIY NAS Build: If you're comfortable with building your own solution, consider creating a DIY NAS with an Intel i5 processor and the capability to add a GPU card. This approach offers flexibility and performance tailored to your needs.