Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best 6-bay NAS for 4K Plex

I’m on the hunt for the perfect NAS for Plex. I need something with 6 or more bays and the ability to transcode multiple 4K HDR streams. My budget is around $800, but if there’s a NAS that’s just as good but a bit cheaper, that’s totally fine too. I just want to be able to stream my 4K HDR movies outside my house without hickups. Thanks a bunch!
For your budget and needs, the QNAP TS-664 is a great starting point. It can comfortably handle a single 4K HDR stream, especially if you're mostly streaming within your home network. The NAS offers solid hardware for Plex and will work well for your current setup without breaking the bank.

However, if you're looking to future-proof your system or plan on streaming multiple 4K HDR streams at the same time, you might want to consider stepping up to the QNAP TS-674 or TS-473A. These models give you more flexibility with their support for PCIe upgrades, including the ability to add a GPU like the GTX 1650. With a dedicated GPU, you'll significantly boost transcoding performance, allowing for multiple 4K HDR streams to run smoothly without stuttering or buffering.

Both options offer scalability, and you’ll be able to add more storage over time as your media library grows. While the 64 series is excellent for handling basic 4K streaming needs, the 74 series or 73A series will give you more power and flexibility for more demanding tasks in the future.