Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Purchasing a NAS as a photographer/videographer

I am currently looking for a solution to back up data with some sort of failsafe and possibly edit directly off of the nas. I am not too familiar with how to set one up. Essentially I want to be able to utilize this as my cloud storage solution for backing up raw files and large video formats. I want to be able to access my files from anywhere and also upload from anywhere since I am a touring photographer and not always home. I know I want some sort of Raid system so that I can be protected and possibly got swap a drive if one fails without losing data
Thank you for reaching out! It sounds like you're looking for a robust NAS solution for backing up and editing your data as a touring photographer. With a budget of $1000 and a requirement for 16-24TB of usable storage, I highly recommend the Synology DS923+.

Why Choose Synology DS923+:
Capacity and Expandability:

Bays: 4 drive bays, allowing you to configure a RAID setup for redundancy.
Max Capacity: Supports up to 80 TB with 20 TB drives, providing ample space for your raw files and large video formats.
RAID Support:

Offers various RAID configurations (RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, and Synology Hybrid RAID), ensuring you can protect your data and swap out drives if one fails without losing any information.
Performance:

Equipped with a powerful quad-core processor and expandable RAM, the DS923+ is designed for smooth operation and efficient file access, making it ideal for direct editing of large video files.
Remote Access:

Synology's QuickConnect and mobile apps make it easy to access your files from anywhere, perfect for your touring lifestyle. You can upload and manage your files on the go with ease.
NVMe Caching:

The DS923+ includes NVMe slots for SSD caching, significantly improving data access speeds for frequently used files, enhancing your editing experience.
Storage Drives:
For your RAID setup, consider using NAS-rated hard drives such as Western Digital Red or Seagate IronWolf. You could configure the DS923+ with 4 x 8 TB drives in RAID 5 for a balance of performance and redundancy, which would fit well within your budget.